Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Point of Order - Change of View

As a young preacher I was very steadfast on views of Bible themes and doctrines.
I was 17  and a woman started attending my home church along with her husband.  He was sort of a quiet and staid man, but she was very outgoing.  It turned out that she was an evangelist out of a large church in Detroit, Michigan.
I liked her and we became friends.
I was looking for work and one day her husband asked me if I would like to work in an orchard that he managed.  I told him yes.
I began having conversations about different things with the woman.  Sometimes we would agree, other times we would differ.  One day she chuckled, looked at me and said that I would mellow one day.  I just shrugged off that comment.
I am no longer active in any ministry, but I do still study and do research.
Lately, my mind has been on things to come according to Bible Prophecy.  How does the things mentioned in the Old Testament mesh with ideas mentioned in the New Testament.
What did Jesus mean in Matthew 24, or the Apostle John when he penned the Book of Revelation on the island of Patmos?
Mankind has unleashed some terrible horrors on each other.  Just in the 20th century alone we have seen a nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima.  Could this be something John saw and wrote about?
The wars that have been fought in just the last hundred years have been the reason for millions of lives lost.
Brother against brother.  Wars between factions of the same culture and faith.  Wars launched for the sole purpose to eradicate a whole race of people.
In every time, event, there have been religious alarmists that have declared that this was the end times and that Christ is coming very shortly.  This is a message I have heard since my earliest memories.  I believed that message for most of my life.
Yes, I believe in the end times but just not how I was taught to believe.
Christ warned that not even the Son of Man knew the hour of His' return.  So, those who are preaching that we are in a certain period of Bible prophecy, I would caution those who are listening to them.
I have resigned myself to the idea that no one has the correct meaning of the time when events will unfold.
I now live like it could be tomorrow, but I have trust in God no matter what.  I really do believe in the words of the hymn, "God Will Take Care of You" :


  1. Be not dismayed whate’er betide,
    God will take care of you;
    Beneath His wings of love abide,
    God will take care of you.
    • Refrain:
      God will take care of you,
      Through every day, o’er all the way;
      He will take care of you,
      God will take care of you.

Scriptures teach us not to worry over tomorrow.
Someone reading this probably thought I was going to elaborate on Bible prophecies, sorry I am not doing that.
I am writing this because of how many are panicking over the markets on Wall Street, the price of oil, etc.,.
To worry is useless, because it will not change things.

No comments: